Most Recent Development: Chase Iron Eyes Arrested
Chase Iron Eyes is a Native American lawyer on behalf of the Standing Rock Water Protectors. This video was posted February 2nd and has been added as an updated addendum to this original post:
Standing Rock Water Protectors: The Next Steps
In conversations with natives, we found there are 3 primary concerns:
- Cleaning up the camp before the snow melts. Many who arrived to stand in solidarity with the Water Protectors could not endure the winter and abandoned camp. If the abandoned campsites are not cleared they will effectively pollute the very same Missouri River water they were there to protect. Native friends are headed up to the site to accomplish that task. It means a lot of hard work in freezing snowdrifts. NOTE: If you want to help, you will likely need a 4-Wheel Drive vehicle, your own winter-proof accommodations and supplies and the willingness to spend days at hard labor cleaning up the campsite.
- Regardless of any existing agreements, oil companies are continuing drilling as this drone footage shows: https://youtu.be/jxQ7gDtOydo
- Now that Donald Trump has taken office, he has made it clear that his has sided with oil companies and against clean water for almost 120 million US citizens and against keeping Native American treaties. This means that the task of the Water Protectors has become more difficult. Given the complicity of the corporate news media in misreporting or not reporting on DAPL concerns, two approaches are being adopted:
- “Publicity Stunts” such as the hanging of a banner at the New Years Day Vikings football game. https://youtu.be/r42IW-lHxsE
- Redoubled efforts on the legal front.
Native American Lawyer Chase Iron Eyes was recently interviewed on CBS about Trump approving Dakota Access & Keystone XL pipelines:
Please follow the links below to learn how to help:
Check out and support Lakota People’s Law Project: http://lakotalaw.org/
Check out and Support Last Real Indians: http://lastrealindians.com/